Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Farm Last Night

So this week has been a rather intense week of major transitions...some things sad, some exciting, all with great potential.  I have been in lots of meetings and doing lots of talking and brainstorming...all of which I enjoy.  When changes are happening and information gathering is going on; I also need time to reflect and digest all of the input I am getting to help turn it into something useful.

My husband was DJing at the Peanut Farm and I decided to go along to have a chance to relax and unwind, maybe dance a little bit.  It was early when we got there and there wasn't a big crowd so I selected a table in the corner and sat down.  I texted a few friends earlier in the night to see if they felt like coming out and everyone was in for the night so it was just me at the table in between the times when Kelly could stop by to talk for a bit.

For some that would be a stress inducing thing...to sit alone in a public place.  For me it was relaxing and re-energizing.  I had a chance to browse in my phone, ponder a few things, and just generally let go of some tension that had built up as I slowly sipped on my Captain and Diet Coke and my big glass of water.  A few friends stopped by for a moment, and I talked...but was probably not the best listener...I was distracted!  Didn't realize how much I really needed that moment until I was living it.

Unfortunately, the one thing a woman sitting alone in a bar does attract is men who think they might have a chance.  As I was sitting there, a man roughly my age came and sat down at the table next to mine.  He asked me what I was drinking.  I told him.  He asked if he could buy me a drink.  I told him sure as long as he bought one for my husband too.  He ignored that and kept talking....

"So, what do you do?".
 I'm a nurse.
 "Oh.  How long have you lived in Alaska?"
  3 years.
 "So...how do you like it here?"
It's great, beautiful.  (each time I answered a question with as short of a phrase as possible, I glanced back at my smart phone hoping he could see just how disinterested I was in getting to know him).
 "That's a really beautiful....umm....shirt" This was painfully slow and he was struggling with the words.
 Thanks.
"So....do you like nursing?"
 Sure it's great.
 "What kind of nurse are you, ICU or something?."
No, women's health.
"What does that mean?"
 Babies.
 "Oh"......."So, how's nursing?"
Didn't we cover that?
 "Do you want to dance?"
Maybe later.  Relaxing now.
"Let's try it...come on"
Ok....so I got up and danced a painful song.

His dance moves were a little like an epileptic seizure and his clapping off beat.  I was smiling, but only because I wanted to start laughing.  I shot Kelly a few looks as we were dancing. He looked on bemusedly.  When the song ended I bolted back to my chair praying he wouldn't follow me.  No such luck.  Not only does he sit back down, THIS time he sits down at the booth beside me and slides up next to me putting his arm on the back of my chair.

 He opens up with.  "I'm here on business from Fairbanks"

 (I'm sure that line works on all the girls!!) LMAO!!!

He continues; "I work for the railroad!"  .....

I scoot forward away from him and ask him to move over.  He doesn't budge, but leans in closer to talk to me.  Then I hear Kelly on the mic, "Dude, move away from my wife!"  He sits there.  Twice more Kelly says it adding an emphatic, "I am not kidding, move your hand and get away from my wife!" before he slides over a little to the table next to me.

He glares at me and says, "Why didn't you tell me your husband was here!"  I replied, "Does it matter, I told you I was married?  That doesn't change if he's here or not here!"

"Not to most people, he retorted angrily!"  He sat there quietly as if trying to decide his next move; head in his hands.  Finally he got up and left without saying anything.

WOW!

After he left, the security guard and my waitress both checked on me to make sure I was ok, and I was able to go back to my quiet contemplation.

After getting home we settled into bed, both exhausted from our busy weeks with lots on our mind.  As he slipped his arm around me and I snuggled into his chest, I realized that this is my absolute favorite place in the world to be.  This is where stress and cares and intrusions don't matter. This is home.  Everything melted away except for a feeling of love, safety, and peace.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment